Sunday, October 26, 2014

Flat Design

When we went over button design and the introductory options of what you can do with dynamic user input this week, that brought me to my most recent discovery: material design. Now, although this is a mostly experimental concept, I am already in love and can only expect a full implementation with all browsers/platforms by the end of  next year.

Material design is not a new concept, but rather the latest take on everything good about web design. Google has taken a look at successful parts of web design, and combined then with where the web is going to be in the future, both feature and platform wise, and this is what they've come up with: Material Design by Google.

For me, this is the sort of look I've always liked. Less is always more in my book. Too many sites have too many mediocre features, when they lack the well-developed ones that most users rely on. Smart transitions and well thought out structure can go a long way in place of just packing as many cool features as possible into one page.

I'm currently working on a small app for a psychology class as a demo of an idea. Although it's still in the development stages, it really shows the idea of what I mean: Textion App (Needs Chrome 38+ to view on desktop or mobile).

It is simple, yet well-placed responsive touch points give user input some good feedback. Simple yet clean transitions give a nice feel on both desktop and mobile. Although this is only available in chrome since it's experimental, I feel like this can really be developed into the next big thing. This is practical, clean web app technology, which doesn't need any user downloads to run, and responds without any glitchiness on supports platforms.

We may not be out of the days of old css hover buttons, but I think we're definitely on the brink of some big changes with how desktop and mobile platforms are run.

No comments:

Post a Comment